Roberta of the excellent Elusive Abstractions has tagged me with the following meme, which is currently doing the rounds again. Happy to participate, Roberta, although little of interest to report, I regret…
5 things you (probably) don’t know about me
• During a manic 9-month period immediately after leaving school I served with the French Foreign Legion, seeing action in the closing stages of the Battle of Bir Hakeim. I was invalided out of the Legion with ‘combat fatigue’ shortly before Algerian independence was declared.
• I have never eaten bread. I have been unable to dispel entirely a conviction stemming from the age of 3 that it is made from the ground bones of cadavers.
• During an intensive weekend workshop with J. Krishnamurti at his British headquarters at Brockwood Park in Hampshire, I experienced briefly the phenomenon of 'yogic flying'. In the full lotus position I rose 4 feet above the ground & remained motionless for 12 minutes. The event was filmed & is now part of the extensive Krishnamurti Foundation Trust archive, available online.
• When hopelessly drunk I used to lose the ability to converse in English completely, speaking instead in a language identified only in my late 20s as one of Finno-Ugric origin &, subsequently, as an early version of Estonian. Bafflingly, I have had no exposure to any such language. (Sadly, in early middle age I lost this curious faculty. If in an advanced state of refreshment now, I simply fall into deep, dreamless slumber.)
• On the distaff side of my family, I am distantly related to the Munchausens of Bodenwerder in Lower Saxony. There remains no evidence of this connection beyond my having the lobeless ears typical of the line.
I shan't tag anyone else with this meme, but if any readers are up for it...